Monday, November 26, 2012

Hand Knitting in Penge


Well, I set out to make a big baggy jumper, and that's what I got, but at least it keeps me warm and cozy now that winter is upon us.
Those lovely verdant trees of summer are just about stripped bare of their leaves now, the sky is grey, and the roads are full of puddles, but I have a pair of wellies and a raincoat. And I needed both for my trip to Bromley this morning.
I took the bus from Penge high street after dropping Jack off at school. My main mission was to trawl the shops for possible Christmas presents, and I spent the morning doing just that, Superdrug, Boots, Debenhams, Marks and Spencers, River Island, Monsoon, Toys are Us, gadget shops, shoe shops, accessory shops... there are a lot of shops in Bromley.
Even though it was a damp and drizzly day, there were musicians in the pedestrianized shopping area, about every 100 meters or so - trumpet players, accordionists, the odd tambourine, it was quite uplifting, in fact at one point the music was such that I had an urge to dance. You will be pleased to know that I did resist that urge, still it brought a smile to my face. There were a few people rattling collecting tins for charity, but not too many.
Before heading home I treated myself to a glass of coca cola and a piece of carrot cake, well, I had walked around for a couple of hours, so had used up a few calories. Then it was on the bus and back to Penge with the first of my Christmas shopping. I didn't see Father Christmas but his Grotto is in the Glades shopping center so I know he has at least reached Bromley.
I didn't wear my unique hand knit today, it wasn't quite cold enough outside, but I did buy a pair of brown boots to match it, now all I need is a hat. I might just have to trip off again before the week is out.

Bye for now, Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears From The Sun - The Story