Monday, August 31, 2015

Ups and Downs!

Beautiful days are filled with laughter, this one ended in sadness.

Say it with roses! A gift from my lovely sister. There was laughter in Monk Bretton, where we tripped off to on the off chance of finding lost relatives, Roystons or Clarkes - no luck! (Probably lucky for them). We ate lots, walked a little, consumed a fair amount of alcohol, and just as we were going through the box of old photographs, we got the news that our cousin (well, half or second, and I'm never sure which it is) had sadly passed away. Paul Midgley, the first son of my cousin Lynn, also no longer with us. He was only 50 years old, and diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks ago. The cancer also caused a tumour on his brain, and just after midnight on Saturday, he died.

I remember Paul being born, and together with his younger brother, Richard, they were part of my close family circle. Their mother, Lynn, was like a sister to me, and I alway looked up to her. Lynn, was a working mother, their father, Melvin, was a lecturer at Hull University. Our paths would cross from time to time as they were growing up. But despite the infrequency, I always felt very close, a blood bond. Yet, looking back, we were not that close at all.

Then, as families often do, we became more distant. I went to live in Crete, Lynn died, and the boys had their own families to concentrate on.

A few years ago, Richard and his partner, Linda, came to visit David and I in Crete. We caught up on all the family news. Paul had gone to live in Norwich, he had left his partner, and was bringing up his two boys, Liam and Alex, by himself, and by all accounts making a damn good job of it. We continued to be connected on Face Book, and a year or so ago, he opened a shop selling Vapour Cigarettes, in Norwich.

Sadly, Melvin has lost his son, Richard has lost his only brother, and Liam and Alex their wonderful father. My heart goes out to that immediate family. I ask God to keep Paul safe in his love, and to watch over those closest to him.

Love Jane x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears From The Sun - The Story